MESA, ARIZONA — The Arizona Museum of Natural History and the i.d.e.a. Museum, both located in downtown Mesa, will open on Halloween, seven months after both initially closed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The museums will reopen on Oct. 31 to their members and to the public on Nov. 7.
Because of the pandemic, hours will be temporarily reduced and the number of people allowed inside will be limited each day to ensure social distancing, a news release said. Masks will also be required for those six years and older.
Admission will also be discounted. For November and December, both museums will offer half-priced admission as a “welcome back” incentive to bring guests back to the museums. Admission is normally $8-$12 for the Museum of Natural History and $9 for the i.d.e.a. Museum.
Reserved time-slots will be required and can be made online via both museum’s websites. Members will be able to purchase tickets beginning on Oct. 12, followed by the general public on Nov. 2.
Arizona Museum of Natural History website
i.d.e.a. Museum website
To start, hours at both museums will be Thursday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Sunday, noon to 4 p.m.
During the closure, some of the museums’ exhibitions and facilities have been renovated to make them either no-touch or low-touch, the news release said. Enclosed areas and primarily high-touch areas will remain closed for the time being.
Here are the statuses of other museums around town:
- Heard Museum – Open
- Phoenix Art Museum – Open to members, opens to the public on Oct. 14
- Musical Instrument Museum – Open
- Arizona Science Center – Open, reservations required
- Desert Botanical Garden – Open, reservations required
- Chandler Museum – Open
- The Rosson House – Open
- ASU Art Museum – Open
- Hall of Flame Museum of Firefighting – Open
- Phoenix Police Museum – Open Wednesdays, appointment only
- Pueblo Grande Museum Archaeological Park – Closed
- Children’s Museum of Phoenix – Closed
- Mesa Arts Center – Closed
- Wells Fargo Museum – Permanently closed
IF YOU GO:
Arizona Museum of Natural History
53 N. Macdonald
Mesa, AZ 85201
150 W. Pepper Place
Mesa, AZ 85201