So many special people, events and objects tell the sesquicentennial stories of Colorado Springs from 1871 to the present.
That history will be told in 150 stories and displays in [email protected] at the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum.
The beginning of the special project was announced during the museum’s signature Gift of History annual fundraiser Aug. 27, when donors, volunteers and supporters were invited virtually to begin suggesting story subjects. Financial donations will go toward this project and other museum programs at cspm.org.
[email protected] was planned to begin as part of the July 2021 city celebration, but these unusual days of the COVID-19 pandemic inspired staff to start it early, on Jan. 30, 2021, instead, announced Leah Davis Witherow, curator of history. As one online speaker said, “In challenging times, we turn to museums for inspiration.”
What people, artifacts, stories, events and happenings matter from the past, today and for the future, Witherow asked.
That first artifact, important in the city’s story, has already been donated, Witherow announced. It’s the distinctive red World War II fighter pilot Tuskegee Airman jacket of local resident Frank Macon. As a youth growing up here Macon worked at Spruce Street Garage to pay for flying lessons, and was in the Civil Air Patrol and Army Air Corps. The jacket he earned serving with the revered World War II unit “represents his unflappable determination to achieve his dreams and his courage to serve his country,” Witherow said.
There are 149 other stories to be collected, “drawn from our vast archives, collections, and members of our community,” said Witherow and museum Director Matt Mayberry.
Suggestions from residents can be emailed to Witherow at [email protected]
A grant supporting the museum’s contribution to the 2021 Sesquicentennial Celebration has come from El Pomar Foundation.
Upcoming virtual nonprofit fundraisers:
• Third Annual Come Walk With Me Fundraising Breakfast, Springs Recovery Connection, celebrating addiction recovery, virtually this year, 7:30 a.m. Thursday. srchope.org
• Rotary Butterflies Flight, large and petite art butterflies auction, 6 p.m. Saturday, virtual, bidding now, csflight.org.
• Komen Colorado Virtual More Than Pink Walk, 9:45 a.m. Sept. 27, provides resources and support for breast cancer patients, register free to walk virtually, tickets colorado.info-komen.org
• Night at the Drive In for CPCD, Oct. 1, gates open at 6 p.m., video Head Start program, complimentary treats and drinks, RSVP for parking by Thursday, cpcdheadstart.org
• Oct. 3 will be Empty Bowls day for Tri-Lakes Cares as Monument Hill Kiwanis Club makes adaptations to its annual event. $20 donations at MHKiwanis.org, drive through to pick up bowls created by local artists and bid at the silent auction at Tri-LakesCares.org. No meal can be served this year.
• Golf4Prevention, Becky Baker Foundation, breast cancer prevention, Oct. 5, Broadmoor Golf Club. beckybakerfoundation.org.
•Fostering Hope livestream, support for foster families and young adults who were in the foster care system, noon and 4:30 p.m., Oct. 8, YouTube or fosteringhopefoundation.org/2020event.
• Special Kids Special Families Night of Comedy, Oct. 10. Virtual. Supports Zach’s Place program for kids with disabilities. Comic Steve Mazan. Silent auction. sksfcolorado.org/event/noc
•11th annual Shrimp Boil for Cheyenne Village, order curbside pick-up Shrimp Boil dinner and s’mores dessert by Oct. 20 at cheyennevillage.org/shrimp-boil. Pick up 3-5 p.m. Oct. 23, Cheyenne Mountain Resort. Dinner at home, virtual program 7 p.m.
• Annual Innkeeper Live, virtual, Lutheran Family Services, for foster, immigration and refugee programs, 7 p.m. Oct. 23, tickets lfsrm.org/innkeeper by Oct. 17.
• Tall Tales benefit presented by Children’s Literacy Center, 7 p.m. Oct. 24, live streamed on Facebook and YouTube, celebrity guests read “Wonky Donkey” for the kids, hear success stories from CLC families and tutors, live auction. childrensliteracycenter.org
• Turkey Trot 5K to benefit Pikes Peak YMCA programs, virtual, run whenever and wherever you want, early registration through Oct. 25, $30 and $5 for furry friends, price increases Oct. 26 and Nov. 23. ppymca.org/turkeytrot2020
• 48th annual November Noel, 7 p.m. Nov. 14, newest program Preemie Family Assistance Fund, NICU virtual tour, free, registration link upcoming.