When you buy through our links, we may earn money from our affiliate partners. Learn more.
Airbnb; Alyssa Powell/Business Insider
- As Americans return to travel, many are looking for destinations that are close to home, according to Airbnb.
- Dotted with quaint coastal towns and historic sites, Rhode Island is a hidden gem for those looking for an East Coast road trip.
- One of the least populated states in the US, Rhode Island offers all the makings for an ideal socially distant vacation with plenty of outdoor activities.
- We compiled a list of affordable, well-located Airbnbs in Rhode Island with top ratings for cleanliness, comfort, and host communication.
- Read more: Which is safer: Airbnb or hotels? Here’s what doctors say
The US may be slowly opening up to travel, but hopping on a plane to head off to an international destination is likely still a ways away for many.
Luckily, there is no shortage of beautiful spots to visit domestically that easily reachable by car. Indeed, according to Airbnb data, many Americans are looking for destinations that are within 200 miles from home.
If you’re considering a summer road trip along the East Coast, Rhode Island is well worth a visit for its stunning coastal towns, historic villages, and outdoor experiences. Enjoy sandy beaches in summer, colorful foliage in fall, and cozy winter activities. It’s the smallest state in the US, but what it lacks in size, it makes up for with vibrant offerings, from the Newport Cliffs to quaint Pawtuxet village, and the creative capital of Providence.
And if you’re wondering if travel is safe, experts consider private vacation homes, such as those on Airbnb, as one of the safer places to stay, especially when compared to hotels. This is because you are often booking an entire home protected from interaction with others.
Airbnb also announced rigorous new procedures including the Enhanced Cleaning Protocol, which includes guidelines on personal protective equipment for hosts or cleaners, as well as only using disinfectants approved by regulatory authorities. These listings maintain a 24-waiting period after a guest checks out before entering to clean, followed by another 24-hour waiting period before guests check-in.
As an alternative measure, hosts may opt into Booking Buffer, which enforces a 72-hour vacancy period between stays. Or, hosts can choose to do neither, in which case, it’s important to remember that cleaning practices vary, where everything from kitchen utensils to bed linens were used by previous guests.
While road trips might seem low risk, and experts consider rental cars to be largely safe, it’s important to remember that without a vaccine, there is no firm guarantee to safety. It’s crucial to follow guidelines and advice from organizations such as the CDC and WHO, and practice safety measures including wearing a mask, washing your hands, and maintaining social distancing. Additionally, consider your own level of risk, and whether you’re traveling from or to a hotspot, so as not to increase the rate of infection. The situation is also fast evolving, so check for mandatory quarantine periods before booking, both in your destination and upon your return. Up-to-date information on Rhode Island policies is available here.
However, if you’re looking for a getaway steeped in fall foliage, a cozy winter cabin, or a summer beach house, we searched through Airbnbs in Rhode Island and selected the following homes based on these criteria:
- The Airbnb listing is for the entire home.
- The home is priced under $250 (excluding additional fees) per night to start.
- All Airbnbs have an average rating of 4.8 or higher.
- Airbnbs have received exceptional reviews for cleanliness, hospitality, and communication of hosts, with prime locations on the coast or near Providence.
These Airbnbs range from sleek apartments to cozy cabins, waterfront studios, chic townhomes, and reinvented barns. All priced under $250 nightly, but it’s worth noting that cleaning and service fees vary widely from one Airbnb to another, especially post-pandemic, and many homes are also enacting minimum night stays and strict cancellation policies.
We’ve also included information for each Airbnb on their specific cleaning procedures to better inform your decision.