Items for the Recreation Calendar will not be taken over the telephone and must be mailed (333 S. 4th, Salina, KS 67401), email to [email protected] or faxed (785-827-6060). Only items received by Noon, Monday will be ensured of publication in the following Sunday’s paper. Area codes are 785 unless otherwise noted.
• OCT. 11, OCT. 25, NOV. 8 AT SALINA: Solo event by Salina Region, Sports Car Club of America at East Crawford Recreation Area south of Dean Evans Stadium … open to all drivers, 17 & under must have a waiver signed by parents … classes for virtually all cars, karts up to 125cc, junior karts … helmets required, loaners available … entry fees for pre-registered drivers $25 SCCA members, $40 non-members, walk-up add $5 … online information and pre-registration link at www.salinascca.org … sign-in/payment opens 8 a.m., coursewalk 8:30 a.m., registration closes at 9:30 a.m., competition starts at 10:30 a.m. … Barkley Park will be closed … for information call 827-5143 or 243-6753.
• Salina Storm is looking to fill roster positions for ages 14 & under through 8 & under teams … for information, call or text Mike Sutton at 829-0871.
• Group bicycle rides or riding partners available at www.facebook.com/salinabikeriders
• Group bicycle rides on Monday, Tuesday and Thursdays at 6:30 p.m., meeting at Bike Tek, 660 S. Ohio … Monday ride is 10-20 miles at 15 mph, Tuesday ride is 20-30 miles at 15-20 mph and Thursday rides are 25 miles & more at 20 mph & more … for information call Shawn at 825-7314.
• Switchgrass mountain bike trails at Wilson State Park … natural surface trails for riders, novice to expert … distance options from 1/4 mile to 22 miles … start at Switchgrass campground in Hell Creek area … park permit and helmets required … no motors or horses … for rules, events, maps, photos, etc. go online at www.facebook.com/switchgrasstrail
• Saturday bicycle rides at 9 a.m., starting at Ad Astra Books & Coffee House, 141 N. Santa Fe … all welcome to ride.
• Registration for the First Tee of Salina is in progress for the 2020 fall program at Salina Municipal G.C. … Par-Birdie classes on Mondays starting Sept. 14 at 4 p.m. … Player class on Wednesdays starting Sept. 16 at 4 p.m. … adult-child format about the nine core values … registration on line at www.firstteesalina.org … for more information call Erik at 833-8227 or email [email protected] (Mon-Fri) or call Keith at 826-7450 or email [email protected] (Sat-Sun).
• USGA handicaps are available to golfers from Salina and the nearby communities through the Salina Municipal Men’s Golf Association (SMMGA) … Membership in the SMMGA is $30 per year and qualifies members to play in all SMMGA tournaments … for information call the pro shop at the Salina Municipal G.C. at 826-7450.
• Thursday Seniors Days at Salina Municipal G.C. for players 55 & over beginning July 2, 2020 … player check-in for April & October is 8:30 a.m., shotgun start at 9 a.m. … player check-in for May-September is 7:30 a.m., shotgun start at 8 a.m. … $30 membership in Salina Municipal Men’s Golf Association required … for questions call Bob Holston at 577-3419.
• Salina Hiking Club hosts hikes in the spring and fall, locally and around the state … all levels of experience and interest are welcome to join … for information email [email protected]
Hunting & shooting
• Wednesdays 3 p.m. to dusk, Saturdays and Sundays 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at Gypsum Valley Sporting Clays II is open to the public … one mile south of Highway K-4 on Niles Road … for information call 536-4535 or 819-6384.
• Elite Sports Complex open play Saturday at 7928 S. Old Highway 81 from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. … woodsball and speedball available … for registration and information call 633-2584 or visit www.salinapaintballcomplex.com
• The Salina Aquatics Club has open registration for individuals interested in joining the team … the individual must be able to swim the length of the pool, 25 yards … for information email [email protected]
• Table Tennis instruction provided by Salina Parks & Recreation and the Salina Table Tennis Club each Monday from 6-10 p.m. at First Covenant Church, 2625 East Magnolia Road … no entry fees … instruction available for youth and adults … enter east doors under the awning, doors close behind each entry … for entry call Pete Smucker at 201-5075.
• Table Tennis league in Abilene meets Thursday nights from 6-9 p.m. at the Abilene Senior Center, 100 N. Elm Street … for information call 263-0577 or email [email protected]
• Pickleball at the Salina Family YMCA, 570 YMCA Drive … Pickleball played Monday-Friday mornings from 9-11:30 a.m. & Wednesday and Friday evenings from 6:30-9 p.m. … days & times may vary … free with YMCA membership … $2 entry fee for non-YMCA members … for information call 825-2151.